September 10, 2019

First Two Weeks in Togo Africa

How do I describe our first two weeks in Togo?

Torrential afternoon rain on tin roofs

Laughter at cards after dinner

Tears over the baby we couldn’t save

100% humidity

Lots of lizards

Great food (no fresh caught-rat though)

This was not served to missionaries
Fresh Escargot












Fellowship with other missionaries

Fellowship with Togolese staff

On call every other day

Lots of friends on the construction crew

Koudjo & Jim
Cuisine









Lots of sweat

Unloading shipping containers

More sweat

Women’s colorful dresses, men with matching bright shirts and pants

More sweat

Wishing I’d learned more French

Togolese church service with infant dedication and new member recognition

More sweat

Lots of sun

Overcrowded hospital with rudimentary supplies and no air conditioning

Lots of children with malaria



"I’m on call today so I had rounds at 7AM and could not go to the local church service but tonight we will have our worship service here after dinner. We’re listening to a series on “Mind the Gap” via broadcast from the full time missionary’s sending church. It’s a good study in 1 Thessalonians on how we should act during this “gap” between Christ’s first coming and the Rapture. It really ties in with the study Jeremy did on Romans 1 and 2.

I’m also on call tomorrow because the other short-termer is leaving today. After this I should only be on every other day.

Fortunately there are not many patients in the hospital. And I’m getting time to study, just like in Residency. After rounds this morning I pulled out one of the Pediatrics textbooks to read up on seizures in kids. Now I’m reviewing “Tropical Rashes.”

I’ve begun making friends with one of the other pet monkeys here, Cozzette. She is not cuddly, yet, but gently takes food from my hand and is interested in my watch.

The afternoon rain didn’t come yet. The rain cools things off to the mid-80s. The local folks are wearing jackets and sweaters because it’s so cold. I don’t think I would do well during the dry season here."  -Roxanne

"I've been working on the cuisines which is French for kitchens.  They are single room units for the families of hospital patients to stay in and cook.  The family cooks for the patient and takes care of all their needs other than medical, no chance to complain about hospital food. Just like in the Dominican, the old cuisines are in a low area that floods in the rainy season." -Jim



Please continue to pray for strength for both of us as well as health. Also for the long term missionaries and their families and that the hearts of the Togolese patients would be receptive to the Gospel.

-Roxanne and Jim

1 comment:

  1. Hello Roxanne and Jim. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by our profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well know you and about your interest in missions and being missionaries. I am blessed by your blog post as I saw those beautiful pictures of your missions trip to Togo along with a team of Grace Bible church. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be enocuraged strengthened and praying for one another. Ihave been in the PASTORAL MINISTRY FOR LAST 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with teh love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. Will be praying for yur time in Togo and also for the missionaries. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete