January 27, 2018

Thursday, Jan 25 2018

8am-
Today is our last work day and we are off to a small barrio, La Luz de Juan Herrera, about 20 Dominican minutes from the guest house.

Dr Daryl is going with the construction crew to do electrical work a the clinic in El Cercado, so it will be Dr Boris and myself to see patients.  Yikes!

 the outside of the catholic church

the table in front of the door is triage and bench is where patients are waiting for pharmacy 


Dr Boris and I are on the platform seeing patients, those on the bench are waiting to be seen, Matt, Scott, and Lydia are drawing on the pharmacy bags





6pm-
We set up in a catholic church which was not much more than a small room with a raised platform at the front.  We saw more frail, sicker, deformed patients than at any place so far.
My heart broke for 3 patients in particular; a 17 year old whose only family was her father who was not happy about the pregnancy, a nine year old who had second degree burns over 50% of his upper body from 6 years ago that was not treated properly, and a 27 year old man with HIV who was severly depressed.  In fact I was almost in tears before lunch.  Pastor Enol prayed with me and I could feel the oppression of the place (the catholic influences?) fade from my heart.  I still felt down when we returned to the Guesthouse but the fellowship of the team soon brought me back to reason.  We are not here to fix things.  We are here to have God to work through us.  Only He can fix the essential problem.
-Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment